Selected national and international service
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Electorate Nominating Committee of the Section on Mathematics, member
- American Mathematical Society (AMS).
- Joseph L. Doob Prize Committee, chair 2013–2015, member 2010–2012.
- Stefan Bergman Trust Fund Committee, chair 2013, member 2011–2012.
- Central Section Program Committee, member 2005–2006.
- Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- Committee of Examiners for the Mathematics Subject Test of the Graduate
Record Examination, chair 1996–2000, member 1994–1995.
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
- Committee on the Chauvenet Prize, chair 2013–2015, member
- Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, editorial board member
- Complex Analysis and its Synergies, Associate Editor since 2013.
- Complex Variables and Elliptic Equations, Associate Editor since 2011.
- arXiv.org, Moderator of the Complex Variables category since 1998; previously
(1993–1997) managing editor of the Electronic Several Complex Variables
Library, which merged into the arXiv.
- Zentralblatt für Mathematik und ihre Grenzgebiete (= zbMATH online),
reviewer since 1989; published more than 200 short reviews.
- Mathematical Reviews (= MathSciNet
online), reviewer since 1978; published more than 550 short reviews.
- Anneli Lax New Mathematical Library (Mathematical Association of America),
Editor 2007–2010, editorial board member 2005–2006.
- Carus Mathematical Monographs (Mathematical Association of America),
editorial board member 1999–2004.
- Notices of the American Mathematical Society, Editor 2001–2003.
- American Mathematical Monthly, book-review editor 1998–1999.
- Russian Translation Project of the American Mathematical Society, participant
1978–1995; published English translations of 84 Russian research articles.
- Soviet Encyclopædia of Mathematics (Kluwer Academic Publishers), member
of the scientiﬁc board for the English translation, 1987–1991.